Michelle Coes is a Licensed Mental Health Counselor who has been working with individuals, children, teens, and families since 2009. She was raised on the coast of Maine and attended Bates College where she received her BA in History. She worked in the field of Occupational Therapy before moving to Vermont where she had 3 children and focused on family during their early childhood. Michelle returned to higher education and received her MA in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with a minor in Substance Use and Addictions Counseling from Antioch University New England in 2009. She moved to Florida in 2021 and joined Therapeutic Oasis in 2022.
Michelle brings a compassionate and non-judgmental presence while working with individuals and families who have suffered traumatic experiences, developmental trauma and attachment issues, anxiety, depression, grief and loss, eating disorders, life transitions, parenting and relationship issues. She meets people where they are in their process to build a respectful therapeutic relationship in which she and her clients can work together towards their individualized goals for therapy. Michelle believes in individuals’ innate wisdom and is honored to be with individuals during their healing journey into their authentic and best selves. She understands that people are the way they are for reasons, and that past experiences can shape who we become. She can support people in changing patterns that are no longer useful.
Michelle draws on her training and experience to work with clients in a safe environment to develop skills to cope with emotions, to build effective communication skills, increase self-awareness, and restore balance and wellness. She has a holistic approach and utilizes various techniques, including Mindfulness Based Therapy, EMDR ( Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing), body-focused therapy, Cognitive Behavioral therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT), Motivational Interviewing, solution-focused therapy, expressive arts, and trauma informed therapy to build on individual’s strengths and support their growth and healing.
Anxiety & Stress
Grief & Loss
Michelle is also experienced with addictions, LGBTQ+, eating disorders, body image issues, self-esteem, bipolar disorder, coping with life challenges, ADHD, OCD, abandonment, attachment issues, guilt and shame, and self-harm.
Education and Trainings
- Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselor, Vermont
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor, Florida
- Bachelor of Arts, History, Bates College
- Master of Arts, Clinical Mental Health Counseling with Substance Use and Addictions, Antioch University New England
- Mindfulness based trainings (MBSR, Mindful Living, Focusing and body-centered approaches)
- Trauma Informed Trainings: Bruce Perry, Bessel van der Kolk, Margaret Blaustein (Attachment, Self-Regulation and Competency)
- Intensively Trained in DBT
- EMDR Trained
- Bowen Family Systems
- Managing Suicidal Risk, The Collaborative Assessment and Management of Suicidality Approach (CAMS)
- Motivational Interviewing
- LGBTQ+ trainings